Historic Trail of Nippon Flavour Kogyo

HOME >> Historic Trail of Nippon Flavour Kogyo

An Englishman named John North, who has been called the originator of soft drink manufacturing in Japan, established his "North & Ray Trading Company" with his partner Ray.W in Yokohama in 1863.
The company started to manufacture soda drinks, including lemonade, ginger ale, tonic mineral water, champagne cider, etc. in 1868. In 1899, Otunosuke Akimoto started to industrialize the manufacture of a cider he named Kinsen (the Gold Line) Cider, a famous name of long standing.

Kikuta Yamazaki, founder of the company, was working in the Foreign Countries Trading House in the foreign resident area in Yokohama. It has also been suggested that he had worked for "North & Ray Trading Company.” Anyway, he seems to have become interested in this type of beverage.
1911 Kikuta Yamazaki started to manufacture the first domestic extracted essences in Yokohama.
[Historical background]
The beverage and confectionery industry in Japan began to boom in 1899. However, the manufacturers relied on their raw materials, including flavourings, on items imported from foreign countries.
During the Meiji Era, there was a strong and energetic move to promote domestic production, with efforts to begin the manufacture all the products that were being made in advanced foreign countries.
On this wave, Kikuta Yamazaki became the first person in Japan to manufacture domestic extracted essences, applying his high level of chemical knowledge.
1912 Kikuta Yamazaki founded the Yamazaki Flavourings Shop in Yokohama.
This shop was responsible for manufacturing and selling fruit essences, but 3 years later, the Great War (World War I) began, and the longer the war lasted, much difficult it to essence-making items. The Yamazaki Flavourings Shop prospered because its products were all based on domestic sources.
1936 Oshiba Farm at Oshiba, Hiroshima was initiated.
The firm industrialized raising of lemons, a first in Japan, in order to be able to manufacture purified citrus oil, a raw material for their flavourings.
The next year, Yamazaki Flavourings began a citron (Chinese lemon) farm in Yokohama City.
1939 The Onomichi Plant was established
Yamazaki Flavourings set up a plant at Onomichi City, in Hiroshima, where farmers were raising lemons. In the same year, the "Sanyo Fruit Processing Co., Ltd." was established and it took over the fruit processing side of Yamazaki Flavouring Shop's business.
1941 The shop changed its name to "Yamazaki Industrial Co., Ltd." and exported its manufactured essences to Manchuria, China.
1944 Nippon Flavour Kogyo Co., Ltd. was established
1950 "Nippon Flavour Kogyo Ltd." was reorganized and given the new name of "Nippon Flavour Kogyo Co., Ltd."
1955 The 1st Flavour Show was held
Through the collaboration of 12 magazine and newspaper companies what were involved in the field, a trade show was begun that featured flavourings. This show was held at 9 locations all over Japan, starting in the Tokyo Metropolitan Industrial Hall.
The show continued to be held through the 5th one in 1959.

[Historical background]
The period of 1955 to 1960 was a significant turning point for the Japanese flavour industry.
People in Japan started abandoning the imitation-flavoured soft drinks and sweets that were fostered by the shortage of good food after the War, and increased their demand for high quality foods and satisfying flavours.
Manufacturers were groping in higher demands, as they attempted to catch up with this trend.
1956 The monthly Flavour Magazine began to be published
It continued to be published through the 81st issue, which came out on December 1st, 1966.
The late company Chairman, Seiichiro Takada, visited England in 1956, and shared a close friendship with Mr. W. R. Littlejohn. Mr. Littlejohn had worked in the Flavour Technology Laboratory in England and was instrumental in issuing the British "FLAVOUR" magazine before World War II.
Mr. Takada proposed to Mr. Littlejohn that he should introduce a version of the "FLAVOUR" magazine in Japan that had previously ceased publication in England, and subsequently started printing the monthly "FLAVOUR" magazine in Japan. As well as publishing this magazine, the Flavour Technology Laboratory researched and studied flavouring technologies, held study meetings and lectures, issued related books, and supported research.

The text used at the Flavour Technology Laboratory.
1961 Started using a mobile laboratory and publicity vehicle that contained facilities for testing flavours and conducting experiments.
The vehicle was equipped with various testing and experimental equipment. The staff drove to customers' sites in this truck and instructed customers how to use flavourings.
1966 The late Chairman, Seiichiro Takada, started to submit his "Flavour: its Science and Technology" essays to the monthly FLAVOUR magazine.
1967 After the 81st issue of "FLAVOUR", the "New Flavour" magazine was begun on a bi-monthly basis.
Its publication began on December 1, 1986.
1971 The 1st flavour technology seminar was held
A flavourings showroom was opened at the Nishinomiya Plant.

The theme was "Flavour in Japanese and Western confectioneries"
1972 Mr. Takada published the 19th century version of
"Flavour: Its Science and Technology."

<1st volume (Chapter of the 19th century)>
¥1,800-
The History of Food and Citrus Fruits in China, Europe, and Japan.
The birth of the science of flavour and early stages of Japanese culinary flavouring.
<2nd volume (Chapter of Meiji era of the 20th century)>
¥4,000-
The Evolution of Dosho Machi - Osaka's wholesale chemical district.
With a scientific perspective on the history of the Russian-Japanese War.
The emergence of the synthetic aroma chemicals industry in Japan.
And the history of Japanese confectionery.
<3rd volume (Chapter of Taisho era of the 20th century)>
¥5,000-
Social Status before and after World War II in Japan.
Personal histories related to the flavour industry after the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.
1996 The monthly "New Flavour Phoenix" magazine was begun
2012 In October, the Company celebrates the 100th anniversary of its foundation.

Thanks for 100 great years!

History

PAGE TOP